Reflecting back on 2016 with reading, I am pleased of the progress that was made this year. I looked back to Goodreads at the 2016 goal of 60 books, finishing with 114 books. Many books this year included series and stand-alone books for middle-grade fiction.
At the beginning of the summer, I found myself in a reading slump. I was tired of reading elementary and middle-school aged books. I discovered an Elizabethan mystery series, YA and adult fiction books the second half of the year.
Looking at goals at the beginning of 2016, I did not accomplish many:
- Finish Anne of Green Gables Series: I finished books 4-6, but attempted books 7/8. I do not care for these as much as they do not heavily feature Anne, but her children.
- Finish A Series of Unfortunate Events series. I listened to these books on audiobook from March to September on my drives to and from work.
- Read The Peculiar Series again by Ransom Riggs. None.
- Read a classic book a month (will start with The BFG and finish Anne of Windy Poplars). Started strong, but finished weak.
- Blog about my reading progress each month. Did not do this
Highlights of the year included:
- Audiobooks to listen to and from my commutes to work
- Graphic novels. For the longest time, I thought I hated graphic novels, but I have come to enjoy a well-written book and appreciate the genre more this year
- Leigh Bardugo’s books. Need I say more?
Top 10 Books of 2016 Read
- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
- Ghosts by Raina Telgemeir
- These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
- Every Heart A Doorway by Seanan McGuire
- Wolf Hollow by Lauren Wolk
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer
- Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult
(Top three included These Shallow Graves, Every Heart A Doorway and Six of Crows)
My goals for 2017 include:
- Read 70 books
- Re-read Harry Potter series
- Finish 2 series currently reading
- Read all of Roald Dahl’s books
- Read and finish 2 new series