This week I have my final reflection meeting with the facilitators of the CNYLDP program at Fulton. In preparation for this meeting, I want to write down a few thoughts about my growth and progress this year:
Leadership Project: I might have been too ambitious with this project. There were ideas to create video libraries and have more in-depth posts. Now I reflect on this, that will be next year’s goal. This year, we have established a strong social media presence with our stakeholders and have staff buy-in
EDL 533: Communication is key. Without it, how can you even begin to succeed? I have become more aware of the importance of clear messages and creating a message geared toward the group that will receive it. Listen to understand, then respond.
EDL 640: This class has helped me define my moral compass more thoroughly, as well as to stand up for the right thing for my students and school community. There are more critical issues than I have realized that are part of the job every day, and it’s important to look at all sides of a picture, but remain objective.
EDL 515: Show me the data. Let the data speak for itself. I find myself saying these phrases when questions are asked. This class has made me interested in possibly pursuing a data coordinator internship. After all, won’t my library and information science degree come in handy for this?
Here are some ways I have taken on new leadership roles recently and into next year:
- Help transition the elementary library team from 4-6 fixed schedule to flex. I have been extremely vocal to gather information and time to meet with teams to make this transition successful next year
- Asked to be part of the School Library System merger meetings between OCM BOCES and Citi Oswego. Serve as one of the Oswego librarian reps
- Taken a more active role in CNYSL (CNY School Librarians) as the Website Chair
- Facilitating and providing more PD sessions to librarians in summer 2017
After this first year, I have reflected on what possible internships I might want to pursue down the road, which might turn into the next phase of my career. Here are my top thoughts so far:
- Data coordinator
- Tech director or tech integration specialist
- Director of a School Library System